Have you hurt yourself in a public place or shopping center?
Victims of slips and falls in public places such as shopping centers, movie theaters, parking lots, parks, government buildings, may be entitled to monetary compensation. According to the law, owners and/or their administrators are required to provide security measures on their premises.
When they do not provide adequate security measures and an accident occurs, they could be liable for medical bills, loss of income and other damages.
In order to file a lawsuit for slips and falls, an attorney needs to verify that:
- The accident and injuries were due to the dangerous conditions where the accident occurred, and
- The owner and/or the administration of the premises was aware of those conditions.
To verify that the owner had prior knowledge of the dangerous conditions, your lawyer will have to demonstrate at least one of the following:
- The owner and/or administrator created the dangerous conditions.
- The owner knew about these conditions and was negligent in not repairing them.
- The condition existed for a period of time long enough for a sensible owner to discover and correct them.
In order for an owner or administrator to be responsible for an accident, it must be foreseeable that his negligence would create the hazard in question. In some cases, your attorney may prove negligence by showing that the defendant violated a relevant statute, such as a building code.
Injured in a slip and fall accident?
Contact us for a free consultation.